We ended up with around 200 photos for our animation which showed a sequence of what appeared like a tattoo growing up my arm. We achieved this by laying down black card, setting up the camera in a stationary position on the tripod and adding bits of paint on my arm at a time while photographing each stage. However once we uploaded, adjusted and exported as a movie, we realised some problems had occurred. For example the lighting differed from shot to shot and my arm wasn't completely still throughout. The biggest error though, was that the pattern drifted off out of the shot throughout the sequence. Also, towards the end, the pattern grew towards the camera which is not what we intended to do when we begun. We only did this to try and fill the frame a bit more because the pattern drifted off.
We are going to re-shoot this so that the tattoo design only grows away from the camera and towards the hand, the lighting doesn't change as much, the arm position doesn't move as much and the tattoo design fills the arm in the right place. To do this we are going to:
- Position two cameras on tripods in two different positions so we get different angles and have covered all areas.
- Get a lamp to shine on my arm so there will be minimum light change between photos.
- Some support for my arm so that it will be easier to keep still.
- Cover a wider area of my arm with the tattoo design and only photographing it growing one way.